France is the home of perfect, round tarts, and when autumn comes you simply cannot avoid the traditional tarte aux pommes. It is the kind of classic dessert you can find in every bakery, but that is never as good as the one your Grandmother makes.
The smell of apple tart baking is divine. Nothing says autumn like this warm scent filling your kitchen.
Our version of the classic apple tart is simple, yet very elegant. Almost too pretty to eat… Almost!
For the sweet shortcrust pastry:
- 70 g butter40 g icing sugar
- 15 g ground almonds
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g flour
- A pinch of salt
For the garnish:
- A few tsp of apple compote
- 4 apples
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- Brown sugar
- Icing sugar
Prepare the sweet shortcrust pastry:
- Mix together butter, icing sugar, ground almonds, salt and flour.
- Incorporate egg and vanilla extract. Mix until homogeneous (if you own a standmixer, we recommend using the paddle attachment, works like a charm!).
- Flatten roughly between two sheets of parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350F). Roll the pastry and line 4 individual tart tins (you can freeze the leftover pastry). Blind-bake for 10 minutes.
- Brush the bottom of the tart crust with lighlty beaten egg white, and blind-bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and increase temperature to 180°C (356F).
Assemble the tart:
- Spoon a thin layer of apple compote on the bottom of each tart crust.
- Core the apples then cut into quarters. Cut the apples into very thin half-moon shapes using a mandoline.
- Arrange the apple slices into a flower on each tart: place the slices one by one, each one slightly overlapping the one before.
- Start on the outside and work your way to the middle.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, then a bit of brown sugar.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
Those individual tarts are delicious warm or cold, with a gass of our lovely rosé Pure!
Tip: you can also sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the apples for extra flavour, right after sprinkling the sugar