Christmas in Australia is very unique compared with the northern hemisphere – as we celebrate over the Summer months.
One of the most traditional Christmas fares is the mighty pavlova. Pairing with the delicate fruit flavours of the Mirabeau Etoile Rosé, and inspired by the pale pink shades of the colour, this cherry pav was created. A light sweet treat, with crunchy meringue, fluffy whipped cream and the ripe sweetness from the berries and cherries with hints of elegant sourness. Cherries are also in season this time of year in Australia – so a staple on the Christmas table!
For the meringue base:
- 6 egg whites
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
For the topping:
- 600mL double cream
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- ½ cup red seedless grapes, sliced
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced horizontally
- 2 cups of cherries
- 2 tablespoons of sliced mint leaves
- Extra icing sugar and gold dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 120˚C and line a baking tray with non-stick paper. Mark a 25cm diameter circle on the underside of the paper
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar, mixing well after each addition until the sugar is completely dissolved and meringue is glossy. Add in the cornflour, vanilla and white vinegar until just combined
- Carefully scoop the meringue onto the baking tray and neatly spread within the circle. Bake in the oven for 1½ hours or until the pavlova is dry when lightly pressed. Turn off the oven and slightly crack open the oven door to cool the pavlova completely. Then transfer the cooled pavlova to a serving plate
- Using an electric mixer, beat the double cream with icing sugar until firm peaks are formed. Lightly fold through the raspberry jam to create a swirl effect. Spoon generously onto the cooled pavlova and decorate with cherries, berries and mint for garnish. Dust with extra icing sugar and edible gold dust (if available)
- Serve and enjoy with Mirabeau Etoile Rosé – shared with friends and loved ones
Glendon is a true ‘foodie’ in every sense of the word. Living in Australia from a loud Italian family – he studied Food Scientist & Technologist at university, and works in the Australian wine industry…he knows what it takes to make good wine (having even worked vintage)! Outside of the workday, he can be found photographing and reviewing the bustling Sydney food scene via Instagram (@glendonww), passionately advocating and volunteering for causes of food rescue & wastage, and in his spare time is a passionate home cook and baker!