Aioli is a classic garlicky Provençal dip that, when served with some fresh colourful veg, makes the ideal healthy crowd-pleasing snack that can easily be taken along to the beach or on a picnic too. The crudités could include anything from bright pink candy beetroots and radishes, to carrots and tomatoes – the perfect summer snack to accompany a crisp glass of Mirabeau Provence Rosé wine.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
For the aioli dip
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Salt, to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 250ml / 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Candy Beetroots
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Any other crunchy vegetables
- Using a pestle and mortar, crush the garlic together with the salt to form a paste (you can use a garlic crusher to give you a head start with this). The smoother you get the mixture now, the smoother your aioli will be at the end.
- When it’s as smooth as you can get it, add the egg yolks and lemon juice to the bowl and blend well, ideally with a pestle but if it’s easier to use a bowl and whisk at this point, you can.
- Gradually begin to add the olive oil, drop by drop, mixing well after addition. Work very slowly here to ensure that the egg yolks are well emulsified and the mixture doesn’t split. Once you have a good emulsion, you can begin to add the olive oil in slightly larger streams, making sure to mix continuously in one direction. (If your mixture splits, place a third egg yolk into another bowl, and gradually mix in your broken aioli to re-emulsify it).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, and refrigerate until required.
- Chop up your colourful, fresh veg and arrange onto a nice platter alongside your aioli dip. Share with friends over a delicious glass of Mirabeau Provence Rosé.
This is part of a menu inspired by WeAreCookandBaker for the Pure Provence Rosé Canettes: