A delicious way to cook with any pumpkin or squash, these muffins were an immediate hit with the kids and everyone at the office. Teamed with a salad it makes a neat little lunchbox item too.
Use a slice of a big pumpkin (such as a Muscat) or a whole smaller variety such as Potimarron. Roast with some olive oil on a baking tray until soft, this should take about 20-30 minutes. Leave the oven on.
For the Batter:
- 100g butter
- 50ml Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 150 g of Bread Flour (you can use Spelt or Wholemeal)
- 1/2 Sachet of Bakers Yeast
- 50 g of Maizena Flour
- 150 g of cubed Comté Cheese
- Melt the butter on a low microwave setting
- Add the 3 eggs and the olive oil and mix well
- Add the flours and turn over
- Dissolve the bakers yeast in a bit of warm water and add to the dough
- Mix thoroughly and let rest for 15 minutes
- Remove the skin from the soft pumpkin flesh and mix in with the batter – ensure that the dough is not too runny. If needed add some more flour- it should be quite thick, but not solid
- Add the cheese, season with salt and nutmeg and give a final mix
- Fill muffin tins with the mixture and bake on 170 C for about 15-20 minutes, until golden on top
- Let it cool down a little, but they taste best eaten warm!