Wimbledon has just started, and along with it the famous strawberries and cream tradition!
This simple yet delicious snack was served at the first ever Wimbledon tournament in 1877. Word on the street is 28,000 kg of English strawberries and 10,000 litres of dairy cream are eaten each year during the tournament!
If you’re not planning on buying tickets but will rather be watching the matches at home, we have the perfect recipe for you. A modern twist on this classic dessert: strawberries with basil-infused and mint-infused whipped cream. It’s so fresh and fruity. The mascarpone whipped cream is really light and basil and mint pair exceptionally well with strawberries.
And with a glass of our sparkling rosé La Folie, it’s a win-win combination! Ready? Game, set and match!
- Fresh strawberries
- 300 g whipping cream or double cream
- 60 g mascarpone
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- 10-15 fresh basil leaves
- 30 g icing sugar
- Divide the cream in two bowls. Add mint leaves roughly cut in one of the bowls, and basil leaves in the other one.
- Cover and keep in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, filter the cream to remove the mint leaves. Whisk together cream, half icing sugar and half mascarpone into whipped cream.
- Repeat the process with basil-infused cream.
- Rinse the strawberries.
- Put on your nicest white clothes, open a bottle of chilled La Folie, and enjoy the match!
Piece of advice:
The whipped creams can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours.
Also see these lovely summer desserts: